If you make a tufted headboard for the bed by yourself, it will brighten your bedroom with style and create individuality. You will be able not only to choose the fabric which you like, but also make your bed more comfortable. If you add buttons to the headboard, it will create a sense of elegance. The surface will be also soft and comfortable for reading and watching TV.
1. Buy the plywood 1.9 cm thick (0.75”) and 1.2 m (47”) wide. You can make a tufted headboard from any material and of any size. Due to the fact that the headboard is upholstered, conventional plywood will be enough for it – there is no need to buy expensive wood.
2. Cut the plywood, so it will be equal to the bed width. The width of the bed can be both regular and very big, so you need to measure its width and mark the headboard consequently to it. It is recommended to use a hand-held circular saw for the best result.
3. Apply a layout for the buttons on the plywood. You can use two, three or more buttons - as many as required by your template. It is better to arrange them evenly and symmetrically on the head, so that they look good.
4. Drill holes in places where you want to install the buttons. The holes should not be too big, but large enough to pass a needle with thread though it for a few times.
1. Buy the fabric, satin and big buttons in the sewing shop. Make sure the fabric is enough to cover more than one side of the headboard.
2. Cover the headboard with the necessary number of batting layers. Batting should extend about 30 cm on each side.
3. Align and trim the edges of the batting, so the projection is 10 cm long - measuring from the back side of the headboard. Attach the batting to the back side of the plywood using a staple gun.
4. Apply the fabric that you have chosen on top of the headboard. Stick it under the edge of the fabric and turn the headboard upside down to yourself.
5. Tighten the fabric and attach it with a staple gun to the plywood. The fabric should cover the entire batting on the back of the headboard. When the cloth is completely fixed, cut off the excess with scissors.
6. Take the needle with fishing line or strong thread and put it in the first hole through the batting and the fabric from the back side to the front. Then, slip the needle through the large button.
7. Attach the button. You can do this by one or two drilled holes, depending on which option you have chosen to use. No matter which option you have chosen - make sure that you tightly pulled a button to create a wavy effect on the batting. There are two methods to do this.
8. Repeat the same process with the other buttons until your pillow does not look like a template.
9. Attach the tufted headboard to the wall behind your bed. To do this, use a special bracket for the headboard, which you can purchase in the hardware store. It consists of two metal parts, one of which is attached to the headboard and the other one - to the wall. They are latched to each other, thereby fixing the headboard on the wall.