So, you have a set of plates, bowls and cups that you like, but it's better if you make it yourself, having mastered the pottery. Finding a good set in the shops - this is certainly good, but the creation of a set of dishes with your own hands is entirely another pair of shoes! And it's easier than you think!
1. Imagine the purpose, size, shape and color of an object that you want to create. Pottery is a very uncertain definition, there are many ways of creating your creation. To create what you want, every element of the work should be carefully considered. Visit the nearest art store and see which opportunities you have to create the article of your dreams.
2. Select the clay. When you have decided what you want, you need to select the materials. Do not exclude dry or polymer clay. It's a little expensive, so use it for small articles. On the other hand, the clay with high and low refractoriness may give different results.
3. Decide which method of work is best for you. You have several options to choose from:
4. Choose the shape. Here all depends on you and your skills. If you have a wheel, excellent! If not, there are several ways to solve the problem. If you are new to pottery, find a professional or watch some videos online; is an art that requires certain skills.
1. Place the pottery in an electric furnace. Set the furnace temperature to 850 degrees at 12 hours. "Unglazed porcelain" or "unglazed pottery" will come out. This first baking removes the physical and chemical water, so the article will be protected from dirt and damage. The temperature range is called a "bump" in the pottery.
2. Paint the article with glaze. Remember that the glaze can peel off. If you want a more precise line, use the "unglazed porcelain", and then apply the pure glaze.
3. Heat the article to melt the glaze and seal the article. Depending on the clay, size and glaze you may need a furnace which heats up to 2500 degrees Fahrenheit (1148 degrees Celsius).
4. Treat the lower part of the article. Perhaps being on the uneven bottom of the furnace, these parts have lost their original shape. Treat it until it becomes as smooth as a table or shelf.