How To Spray Paint Furniture
Nowadays, spraying furniture is an ordinary thing to do because you can easily buy any spray paint you like. A wide range of aerosol sprayers of different colors, texture and for different surfaces is available today. You can spray the paint on plastic, metal, wooden, wicker, and even varnished furniture. There are several very simple steps that you are to follow while spray-painting your furniture.
1. Choose the spray paint you are going to use. Make sure that it is suitable for the surface you want to paint. You can buy special paint for the outdoor furniture. Choose the color and the texture you like. Check the information on the can to buy as much paint as you need to cover the piece of furniture completely.
2. Wash the furniture thoroughly with water and soap if needed. It is necessary that it was absolutely clean before painting.
3. Sandpaper the furniture in order to remove the flaking paint or rust as well as any burrs if the furniture is not finished. The usage of sand paper makes any surface rougher so the paint can stick to it firmly. Wipe it with a clean dry cloth after that.
4. Make sure that the furniture is dry before painting. After you finish the cleaning and sandpapering make sure that enough time has passed and the surface is dry enough. Otherwise, the paint will not stick properly.
5. Remove any accessories from the furniture. You can use a screwdriver to remove hinges, knobs and other pieces.
6. Cover the parts of the furniture that you don’t want to paint (e.g. glass, mirrors etc) with masking tape or paper.
7. Leave the piece of furniture in a well-ventilated room or outdoors. You will probably need to put something (some paper or plastic) under it to protect the floor.
8. Shake the can before spraying and shake it from time to time while spraying. It will provide uniform thin layers.
9. Spray the paint doing even motions completely covering the surface. Constantly move the can to avoid excessive painting.
10. Let the paint dry for an hour and lay another layer. Read the instruction on the can to make sure, if one hour is enough for the type of paint.
11. Hold the can about 30 cm far from the object you paint. If you hold it too close, the paint will drip.
12. Let the piece of furniture dry for a few hours before bringing it indoors.